Popular Posts

Thursday 23 October 2014

My new home

I can say that airports are my homes. The newest addition to my home collection is the new domestic terminal of Izmir Adnan Menderes Airport. I can get sick of flying, and hate airports when I am so frequently here and there... But this terminal is so beautiful that I had to write about it.

Normally I don't travel to the domestic airport, unless I am flying within Turkey which rarely happens. This year flying to Trabzon from Izmir I saw the interior of the new terminal. I was blown away by how grand, structural and light it was. All I can say is that it was worth the hassle of traveling combined with the domestic passengers in the international terminal for two years while the construction was underway.

Many Turks probably know this airport thanks to Kacak Gelinler (literally translated as 'Fleeing Brides'), where three brides running from their marriages due to various complications meet at the airport and start an adventure.


Below are my photos which have been taken during summer, where Izmir is known for its sun and heat so I guess this also helps showcasing the beauty of the architecture. :)




With an area of 291,267m², the new terminal has a much larger capacity with 64 check-in desks. It is the largest domestic terminal in all of Turkey - which is very significant. Doing a bit of research I found that the construction and the design were all carried out by TAV, who will also operate the airport until the year 2032.


 






It is pretty incredible to see some of the completed architectural renders of the project, and to compare them with the finished result. Any architects reading this will know that usually renders look a thousand times better than the actual building. This is one of the rare occasions where I can say the opposite. The actual realized building itself looks like a series of amazing renders.

Render 1
 
 Render 2

Information Sources: http://www.airlinerspotter.net, http://www.aksam.com.tr, http://www.airport-technology.com

The last two render images do not belong to me, they have been collected from the above websites.
 
Coming Up - Let me take you on a summer vacation

No comments:

Post a Comment